Can I Appeal My Criminal Conviction?


If you have been convicted of a criminal offence, you have the right to appeal that conviction. However, the purpose of an appeal is not to retry your case. The Court of Appeal can only set aside your conviction based on one of the following grounds:

  1. The verdict was unreasonable and could not be supported by the evidence;
  2. The judge made an error of law;
  3. There was a miscarriage of justice.

There are essential timelines that must be followed if you wish to appeal your conviction: you must file your appeal within 30 days from the date of your sentence. Although you may ask the Court of Appeal to allow you an extension of the 30-day time limit, it is strongly recommended to file your appeal within 30 days of your sentence as there is no guarantee an appeal court will grant you an extension.

Appealing a conviction is a difficult process. However, having a criminal record can drastically impact your life. If you have been convicted of an offence and wish to appeal the conviction.

Contact us to see how we can help; your first consultation is free.

Toll-Free: 1-877-860-7575